Immanuel Lutheran is both a church and a school serving the Wisconsin Rapids and surrounding communities for over 140 years! We are a member congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and a part of the North Wisconsin District.
In 1881, God Inspired a group of His people, under the guidance of Pastor F. Leyhe, to start Immanuel Lutheran in Grand Rapids, Wisconsin. The first constitution dated December 1881, along with subsequent constitutions in 1897 & 1913, were written in German. In 1883 the first church building was erected on the corner 8th Street and Prospect. In March of 1884 Immanuel Lutheran School was started, with classes taught in the balcony of the church by the pastor. In 1886 a school building was constructed at the back of the church.
By 1889 there were 65 children enrolled in the school and a "lady" teacher was hired to assist the pastor. The next year, Mr. F. Schaefer became the first called teacher to serve Immanuel Lutheran School, as enrollment continued to rise.
As Immanuel continued to grow both in church membership and school enrollment, they found themselves outgrowing their current building and in 1909 they built the present building we still worship in today. Classes for the day school continued to be held in the church basement until church purchased property at the corner of 11th Street and Oak where school continues to operate to this day.